Sperm Retrieval Procedure
Sperm Retrieval is a process of extracting or aspirating the sperm from a Male testis directly. The Sperm Retrieval is a part of the IVF, during which the healthy sperm are extracted to get them fertilized. In cases of Male factor infertility where there is a little or no sperm present in the Semen Ejaculate, Sperm Retrieval/ Extraction techniques helps.
• Microsurgical Epididymis Sperm Aspiration
• Open fine needle aspiration
• Percutaneous Epididymis Sperm Aspiration
• Testicular Epididymal Sperm Extraction (TESE)
• Micro Dissection Testicular Sperm Extraction (TESE)
• Complete absence of sperm
• Obstructive Azoospermia (an absence of the vas deferens, or blockages anywhere along the seminal tract)
• Non Obstructive Azoospermia (when the sperm count or quantity is so low)
• Failure to ejaculate
• Normozoospermia (non-viable, immotile)
Pituitary Tumor is the Contra Indication of Sperm Retrieval because of Spermatogenesis is attenuated, leading to Testicular Hypo Function. However, it will often improve with only medical treatment, negating the need for Surgical Sperm Retrieval.
• Microsurgical Epididymal Sperm Aspiration is preferred as a Sperm Retrieval Method
• Under Local anesthesia, a small incision is made in the scrotum
• After, a micro puncture pipette quickly and very clearly punctures the Epididymal Tubule, then the sperm will be aspirated through the pipette
• After that, the sperm is examined under a microscope for viability, and the incision is closed with micro sutures
• This results in easier identification of sperm and processing for both fresh and frozen samples, as well as less damage to Epididymal Ductules
• These procedures may provide enough sperm for IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) and ICSI or Cryopreservation
• Open Fine Needle Aspiration is the Epididymis exposed and a ductule is directly punctured through the tunica, there is no any dissection
• Then using a 26-G needle for the purpose of aspiration
• Epididymal fluid is aspirated from the ductule
• After withdrawing the needle, the Epididymal fluid continues to flow out of the punctured ductule fluid and is aspirated from the Epididymal surface
• The ductular opening is not sutured
• Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration is one of the best method used for men with Obstructive Azoospermia
• Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration is the least invasive option and does not require any special surgical equipments
• Although this procedure used in men without dilated different epididymal tubules will often not provide enough sperms for Cryopreservation
• Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration can provide enough sperm for Fresh-cycle In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
• A small 30-GA needle is used in this aspiration and this needle is inserted percutaneous into the epididymis and its contents are aspirated
• If no sperms are found, the surgeon may elect to precede to a Microsurgical Epididymal Sperm Aspiration procedure or, more commonly Testicular Sperm Extraction
• A Testicular Biopsy or Testicular Epididymal Sperm Extraction is executed through an opening as a small scrotal incision
• TESE can be performed with or without the use of a Surgical microscope
• The Testicle is exposed and a Transverse incision is made in the anterior aspect of the Tunica Albuginea. Standard Open Testicular Sperm Extraction techniques may not find Spermatozoa in over half of men
• Patients usually Cryopreserve Sperm during this procedure for future In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
• Micro TESE has replaced this as the optimal form of retrieval for men with no sperm in their ejaculate (Azoospermia) from a problem with production
• This TESE procedure takes only a few minutes
• Micro TESE is a procedure performed for men who have a sperm production problem and Azoospermic
• Micro TESE is performed in the operating room with the General anesthesia under the operating microscope
• Micro TESE is carefully coordinated with the Female Partner's Egg Retrieval, and this procedure is performed the day before Egg Retrieval
• This allows each partner to be there for the other's procedure. Patients frequently have Sonor Sperm backup in case Sperms are not found in the Male partner. Micro TESE has significantly improved Sperm Retrieval rates in Azoospermic men
• Micro TESE is a safer procedure, since less testicular tissue is removed
• Patient's Cryopreserve Sperm is retrieved during this procedure for future In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
Sperm Retrieval Surgery takes about an hour and this surgery is done under Local or General anesthesia, based on the specific collection techniques used. There is no pain during the surgery.
Patients typically recover very quickly after the sperm extraction surgery. Then you may feel some discomfort and tenderness on the scrotum for the first 24 to 48 hours. This can be relieved with the prescription of the over-the-counter pain medications. Then the Bruising and Swelling may occur, which should subside within the first few days. After the procedure you should be able to return to normal activities within three to five days, and you expect a full recovery within two weeks.
There is always a possibility you may experience some side effect. These can include
You will receive some antibiotics to prevent infection, and pain medications to help manage any soreness and pain in the treatment area.
We at Sakthi Fertility provide all under one roof. It serves as one of the best centers for Assisted Reproductive Technology treatment in Udumalpet, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu and many infertile couples are benefitted with our fertility treatment and have a complete family. We perform Sperm Retrieval/Extraction with high precision and care. Sakthi Fertility centre has skilled specialists in infertility treatment, Pollution free environment, innovative financing programs, and patient friendly and provides the best services to fulfil the patient's dream of having a baby. We have modern instruments with World class sterilizing standards, hence the chances of occurrence of infection is very minimal.
For More Information: +91 96 26 200 600
We are here to answer any questions about your fertility treatment and we'll respond as soon as we can.