How Obesity Causes Infertility
Obesity is associated with a general problem in overall fertility, with a relationship existing between excess body fat and problems with reproduction. One of the most common and well documented risk factors for infertility in both men and women is Obesity.
Obese Women and Infertility
Obesity causes infertility particularly when excess fat is stored around the abdominal area. Changes in circulating sex hormones are thought to be largely responsible for decreasing fertility. Women who are overweight or obese have lesschance of becoming pregnant than normal-weight women. Once pregnancy occurs, obese women have a higher rate of pregnancy loss. Being overweight can also lead to abnormal hormone issues affecting reproductive processes for women. Abnormal hormone signals, as a result of increase weight, negatively impact ovulation. In women, it can cause the excessive production of insulin, which may cause irregular ovulation. There is also a link between obesity, excess insulin production & the infertility condition known as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
Obese Men and Infertility
The degree of male obesity has a direct effect on estrogens levels, with excessive fat deposits corresponding to increased estrogen and decreased testosterone levels. These elevated estrogen levels in men affect fertility because they prevent the synthesis of androgens that is hormones required for the development and maintenance of normal male reproductive function. Hormone irregularities in men affect stimulation of the testicles that inhibit sperm production. Overweight men have testosterone levels 25 %lower than the men of normal weight. Men with high BMIs typically are found to have an abnormal semen analysis as well.
• When your Body Mass Index goes on increasing, your overweight category (BMI of 25–29.9) into the obese category (BMI of 30 and above), and so hormonal changes may occur in your body. When your normal level of hormones changes, there is a chance to get infertility.
• Obesity often leads to insulin resistance. That is a major risk factor on the diabetes so it also affects your fertility and can create abnormal menstrual cycles. Insulin resistance can lead to anovulation, so this affects normal production of eggs
• Obesity also impacts production of the Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone (GnRH), this is essential for maintaining regular ovulation in women, and to the production of sperm in men. GnRH triggers release of the Luteinizing Hormone (LH) and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH), both critical to the development of eggs and sperm
Weightloss can improve fertility in obese people. It is often the first step in fertility treatment when an obese patient seeks help from Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART). Even a loss of 10-15% can improve ovulation and pregnancy rates. This may lead to an 80% improvement in menstrual function.
Management of weight loss
Combining exercise with a healthy diet is a more effective way to lose weight than depending on calorie restriction alone.
Foods to be taken
• Low-calorie foods
• Eating smaller portions of meals
• Drinking water instead of sugary drinks
• Being physically active
• Drink more soup
Foods to be avoided
• Oils and oil-containing products
• Avocados, olives, nuts and seeds, dairy products (other than non-fat ones)
• Simple sugar
• Anything commercially prepared that has more than 2 grams of fat per serving
Exercise helps to decrease your weight and maintaining weight loss. Exercise can increase metabolism. It can also help you maintain and increase lean body mass, which also helps to increase number of calories you burn each day.
Yoga is can help to lose your weight, according to a recent study found that people who practice yoga are more mindful about what they eat and, therefore, less likely to be obese.
In Vitro Fertilization(IVF):
When one or both of the partners suffer from infertility, whether related to obesity or hormonal imbalances, they go forinvitro fertilization(IVF) for conceiving.Additionally, obese women were found to have a lower rate of success with embryo implantation that is15 percent vs. 20 percent among healthy weight women.
We at Sakth Fertility provide all under one roof. It serves as one of the best centers for Assisted Reproductive Technology treatment in Udumalpet, Coimbatore and many infertile couples are benefitted with our fertility treatment and have a complete family. Sakth Fertility center has skilled specialists in infertility treatment, Pollution free environment, innovative financing programs, and patient friendly and provides best services to fulfill the patient's dream of having a baby. It has treated multiple number of obesity and infertility in Udumalpet, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India region.
For More Information: +91 96 26 200 600
We are here to answer any questions about your fertility treatment and we'll respond as soon as we can.